Sunday, July 15, 2012

From the plane to Durga's Den

It is almost the conclusion of my second day at Durga’s Den. It feels like a long time since I’ve been home already. The plane ride went relatively smoothly. We spent the first day primarily waiting at the airport, but between Gabrielle’s and Ryan W.’s flights coming in, the four of us who had already arrived experienced Jamaican fast food, a beach, and a tourist restaurant. It was an interesting first taste of the country. Of course we then had a long ride back to the Crystal Ripple Beach Hotel. In the morning after breakfast we had some time to relax and get acquainted with our surroundings. 

View of the beach at the Crystal Ripple.
Pic by Melissa Peterson
I went out to take pictures and ended up meeting a lot of Jamaicans! That was exciting and unexpected. I was floored by the genuine friendly reception I got when I said my normal, “Hi! How are you today?” I actually had two kind men sit down with me and give me a lesson in Patois! That was exciting. I met a man by the name of Scooby and he insisted I go for a swim. The water was amazing and in the process, I made lots of friends. I didn’t feel treated like a tourist, I felt like everyone I met was genuinely concerned that I get a good impression of his country (I met all men). Scooby showed me the river mouth and while we were down there, a Sandals tour boat pulled right up to the river mouth with some very uncomfortable-looking tourists on board. I couldn’t help but wonder how different their experiences will be from mine. I don’t know why seeing people on their own beaches causes discomfort to some tourists, but I assume it is because they were viewing from a boat like the walls of the fancy, covered boat are like glass in an aquarium through which to view a foreign environment.

During breakfast I took note of fishing with nets. The nets were lain by boat in a circle. I wonder what the fishing restrictions are along the various coasts of Jamaica in comparison to what I saw in South Africa last semester. I’m sure there are pressures on the marine ecosystem because of the coastal populations and tourism on the island.

We then drove through town for some last minute supplies and for jerk lunch. I had jerk pork and sweet potato fries: heavenly! Neil made a point that the restaurant we ate at was intended for tourism, and while we did see a lot of tourists, we also saw a good amount of locals. He pointed out that businesses intended with tourists in mind still serve a purpose for Jamaicans. Everyone loves good food and a fun atmosphere! That makes total sense. I guess I don’t want to go to tourist places in my hometown, but the places that are really good, I still go to. This is just a Jamaican parallel.

This is the composting toilet
structure at Durga's Den.
After a drive through Ocho Rios, we drove up the mountain to Durga’s Den. We have been here for a little over a day now, and it is definitely a different environment than I’ve ever been acquainted to. I will expand more later. 

~ Melissa Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment